What was the original migration plan and timeframe?
In May of this year, Enghouse Vidyo announced the General Availability of VidyoPlatform, the replacement for the Vidyo.io platform. VidyoPlatform offers all of the same benefits of the current Vidyo.io platform and more.
At that time, we told Vidyo.io customers who use Chrome WebRTC that they had to complete the migration by mid-July. This timeframe was provided based on Google's announcement to completely transition Chrome's WebRTC implementation from the Plan B SDP format to the Unified Plan by mid-July. Because Vidyo.io's Chrome support is based on the Plan B SDP format, it would no longer work when Chrome completed the transition. By contrast, VidyoPlatform is based on the Unified Plan and will continue to support Chrome WebRTC.
What is the new timeframe?
Google recently announced that the mid-July deadline for Plan B is being extended. If you need more time to migrate, Enghouse Vidyo highly recommends that you sign up for Chrome's Deprecation Trial “RTCPeerConnection Plan B SDP Semantics”. By doing so, applications that need more time to successfully migrate may continue to use Plan B for a few more milestones. When the Deprecation Trial is over, Plan B will go away permanently.
For information from Google about the background of this issue, how to register for the Trial, and about the differences between Plan B and the Unified Plan, see Deprecation Trial: RTCPeerConnection Plan B SDP Semantics.
What do I need to know if I register for the Deprecation Trial?
Google has provided a mechanism to use Plan B after they deprecate it. First, you must register for the Deprecation Trial. Google will then generate a token that you can add to your application. The token allows the application to work even if it is using a version of Chrome that is no longer supported.
Note, however, that the tokens may expire before the trial ends. Each token contains the expiration date (also known as the Valid Until date) and cannot be extended, so you must renew to generate a new token. Google will send you an email to invite you to renew and continue participating in the trial.
- That email includes a link to the registration page in the developer console.
- On the registration page, you may need to provide feedback before you can renew. Use the Feedback button to complete a survey to provide feedback.
- On the registration page, the Renew button will appear once you've provided feedback. Use this button to generate a new token.
Tokens are guaranteed to be accepted by Chrome up to the Valid Until date. This date is calculated based on your feedback, initially set to six weeks after the token is created. Feedback is required every six weeks to extend the Valid Until date in order to keep participating in the trial.
- Tokens without any feedback in the last six weeks will automatically be disabled by a remote update process after a grace period.
- Chrome will send a last warning email before disabling the token. This will be your last chance to provide feedback and keep the token active. After that your token will no longer be accepted by Chrome, and you will not be able to use your application.
- You can still provide feedback after the token is disabled. However, the token will not be re-enabled immediately, even though the Valid Until date is updated. The process to disable and re-enable tokens runs periodically, and it takes some time for the remote updates to reach the majority of Chrome clients.
For more information, see the Origin Trials Guide for Web Developers.
How do I start the migration process to VidyoPlatform?
As a reminder, you can begin the process of migrating over from Vidyo.io to VidyoPlatform by simply filling out the short VidyoPlatform Tenant Info survey. We are also offering Vidyo.io to VidyoPlatform API migration services. To learn more about these services, download the flyer.
Additionally, you can get help by:
- Contacting Professional Services via email at EI.VidyoProfessionalServices@enghouse.com.
- Reading the FAQs and articles about the migration in the Using VidyoPlatform section of the Vidyo Help Center.
Please sign in to leave a comment.