Vidyo has had a long-standing integration with Epic using the VidyoWorks APIs to provide direct, deeply embedded real-time video capabilities within the Epic experience. In the near future, these customers will have a new way to connect using context-aware linking (CAL) capabilities from Epic combined with a turnkey integration using VidyoConnect for WebRTC (desktop and mobile).
This article, which includes the sections listed below, describes the similarities between the integrations, benefits to moving to Epic CAL integration, and the steps required for Epic’s embedded customers to migrate smoothly and easily to Epic’s CAL integration. The first section below addresses the most commonly asked questions.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similarities Between Epic Embedded and CAL Integration
- Benefits to Moving to Epic’s CAL Integration
- Getting Started
- Enabling Vidyo’s Epic CAL Integration in Epic's App Orchard Marketplace
- Obtaining the VidyoConnect for WebRTC and VidyoPortal and VidyoRouter Versions That Support Epic CAL Integration
- Verifying Compatibility Between Your Epic and Vidyo Versions
- Configuring Your Epic CAL Integration Using the Super Admin and Tenant Admin Portals
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What are the major differences between the deep Epic integration and the CAL Epic Integration?
Answer: Refer to the below sections: Similarities Between Epic Embedded and CAL Integration and Benefits to Moving to Epic’s CAL Integration.
Question: When will Vidyo support VidyoConnect for WebRTC (mobile and desktop) so that patients do not have to download a separate app?
Answer: July 31, 2020.
Question: When will Vidyo support the SaveMedia web service so that we can continue to capture and store images during the visit.
Answer: Vidyo plans to add support for SaveMedia Web services during H2 2020 (Refer to the Vidyo Roadmap disclaimer).
Question: Will it cost more to switch to CAL, or will the rate stay the same if I have an existing contract?
Answer: Vidyo is not currently charging extra for EPIC CAL for any of our customers; however, Vidyo does reserve the right to change this policy in the future under the terms of the EPIC CAL contract signed with EPIC App Orchard.
Question: I’m an on-premises VidyoDesktop or VidyoConnect customer and would like to migrate, what should I do first?
Answer: If you are using VidyoDesktop, you must first transition to VidyoConnect as described in the Transition from VidyoDesktop to VidyoConnect article.
Question: How do I install the VidyoConnect for WebRTC Server VE?
Answer: If you would like to use a Virtual Edition VidyoConnect for WebRTC server, refer to the Installing VidyoConnect for WebRTC Server VE article.
Question: How do I use the VidyoConnect for WebRTC Server Admin UI and Console?
Answer: For details about how to use the Admin UI and Console to configure your VidyoConnect for WebRTC server, refer to the Using the VidyoConnect for WebRTC Server Admin UI and Console article.
Question: As an on-premises customer, where can I go to access the downloads for VidyoConnect for WebRTC and VidyoPortal and VidyoRouter?
Question: As a cloud customer, where can I sign up to get the latest maintenance and GA release information?
Answer: Go to our VidyoCloud Status site at https://status.vidyo.com/ and click the blue Subscribe to Updates button in the upper-right corner.
Question: Where do I go to access the latest release notes?
Answer: Release notes are available on the Vidyo Help Center. For VidyoConnect for WebRTC release information, see the VidyoConnect for WebRTC Releases article. For VidyoPortal and VidyoRouter release information, see the VidyoPortal and VidyoRouter: Releases article.
Question: How do I learn more about my VidyoConnect for WebRTC server clusters?
Answer: For detailed information about VidyoConnect for WebRTC clusters, refer to the Understanding VidyoConnect for WebRTC Server Clusters article.
Question: How do I get information about the capacity requirement for VidyoConnect for WebRTC servers?
Answer: For capacity guidelines, see the information in the VidyoConnect for WebRTC Server Capacity Guidelines article.
Similarities Between Epic Embedded and CAL Integration
- Using either method of connecting (embedded or context-aware linking), patients can log in to MyChart, view their upcoming appointments, and tap a button to connect to the video-enabled virtual examination room.
- Clinicians can schedule real-time video appointments with peers and specialists for consultation or second opinions using the same integrated Vidyo clinician-facing applications.
Benefits to Moving to Epic’s CAL Integration
- The CAL integration provides the simplicity and convenience of using a browser for a seamless experience for both providers and patients.
- The CAL integration offers a click-to-connect experience from within your Epic workflows with an expanded set of healthcare features and capabilities such as:
- Ability to inherit all new features from Vidyo and VidyoConnect for WebRTC
- Built-in support for an array of healthcare peripherals
- Far-end camera control
- Multiparty consultation and meetings
- H.323/SIP dialing capability
- Codec solution with H.264 SVC
This section provides a brief overview of the steps needed to migrate from the Epic embedded integration to the Epic CAL integration.
Enabling Vidyo’s Epic CAL Integration in Epic's App Orchard Marketplace
- Contact your Epic representative to obtain access to Epic’s App Orchard marketplace.
- Contact Vidyo Sales or your Vidyo account representative once you have requested Vidyo's CAL app via the App Orchard site.
Obtaining the VidyoConnect for WebRTC and VidyoPortal and VidyoRouter Versions That Support Epic CAL Integration
- Download the VidyoConnect for WebRTC version that supports Epic CAL integration when Vidyo makes it available for on-premises customers. As always, Vidyo will automatically upgrade cloud customers.
- Upgrade to the VidyoPortal and VidyoRouter version that supports Epic CAL integration for mobile-device customers using VidyoConnect for WebRTC when Vidyo makes it available. As always, Vidyo will automatically upgrade cloud customers.
Verifying Compatibility Between Your Epic and Vidyo Versions
- Ensure that your Epic version is compatible with your Vidyo infrastructure by referring to the information and details in the Epic Compatibility with Vidyo Infrastructure article.
Configuring Your Epic CAL Integration Using the Super Admin and Tenant Admin Portals
- Configure your Epic CAL integration on the Vidyo Super Admin portal and Tenant Admin portal by referring to the information and details in theVidyo and Epic Integration with VidyoConnect Context-Aware Linking (CAL) article.