This article has been archived. For the most current information, see the Using VidyoConnect: About Each Feature article.
This article contains the following sections:
- Criteria for the FECC Capability to Work
- Supported Cameras
- Camera Owner (Desktop Only)
- Camera Controller for Desktop
- Camera Controller for Mobile
The Far End Camera Control (FECC) capability enables VidyoConnect meeting participants to remotely control supported Pan-Tilt-Zoom (PTZ) cameras connected to far end VidyoConnect desktop or VidyoRoom endpoints. For example, in a healthcare scenario, remote doctors can zoom in to more closely examine patients, or pan to see other healthcare workers or the patient's surroundings. In a classroom scenario, students and teachers could pan to see other students or zoom in on presentations and blackboards.
Criteria for the FECC Capability to Work
- The Camera Owner as well as the Camera Controller must be using VidyoPortal version 19.1.0 or later.
- The Camera Owner must enable a supported FECC camera.
- The Camera Controller must be a registered or a guest user using VidyoConnect version 18.3.0 or later or controlling a VidyoRoom camera.
- The Camera Owner must be running Microsoft® Windows 7 or Windows 10; however, we recommend using the latest version for optimal results.
- If you are a mobile user, you can control the camera of a desktop user only if the desktop user has a supported camera plugged in and FECC enabled.
- You cannot plug your mobile device into a supported camera and you cannot be a Camera Owner.
The following table defines the PTZ cameras Enghouse Vidyo tests and supports for using the FECC capability including name of manufacturer and website and name of model and datasheet website.
The FECC feature is not limited to these cameras. For example, the Logitech Meetup PTZ camera works with the FECC capability; however, it is not fully tested by Enghouse Vidyo and therefore, not included in this list.
The camera devices listed here are recommended or supported (with definitions listed below) and are for use with VidyoConnect™ version 18.3.0 or later unless otherwise noted.
- RECOMMENDED: The camera device has been tested with VidyoConnect and provides a higher-quality experience.
- SUPPORTED: The camera device has been tested and functions correctly.
- DEPRECATED: The camera device was previously listed as “Recommended” or “Supported” but has been scheduled for discontinued support in the near future by the vendor and should not be used for new installations.
NOTE: The below deprecated section does not include any cameras at this time.
|Camera Manufacturer and Website||Camera Model & Datasheet|
|Logitech||PTZ Pro 2|
|Sony||SRG-120DU (Note: This camera moves by "nudges" only and not the smooth FECC that is supported in version 19.3.1)|
Ancillary Healthcare Feature: Digital Stethoscope
The FECC capability can be used in conjunction with Digital Stethoscope controls to enable more robust remote healthcare scenarios. For more information, please refer to the Using the VidyoConnect Digital Stethoscope Feature article.
Camera Owner (Desktop Only)
The FECC feature defaults to "Off" (disabled) for the Camera Owner. Therefore, the Camera Owner must go to the Device Settings screen and enable it prior to joining a call. This allows all registered and guest users in the same call to become Camera Controllers.
To use the FECC capability feature as the Camera Owner:
- Plug your supported camera into the system running your VidyoConnect for Desktop application.
Note: Before plugging in your camera, make sure you have the latest Windows updates and drivers. To connect your FECC camera to your system, follow the camera manufacturer instructions and procedures. For example, some cameras have specific setting requirements such as the Sony SRG camera. For more information about specifically setting up the Sony SRG camera, refer to the VidyoConnect - Controlling the Sony SRG-1200 DU PTZ Camera via USB article or to your camera instructional manual(s).
- From the VidyoConnect main window, select the Settings button from the upper right side, and then select Device Settings.
The Device Settings window displays.
- From the Device Setting window, select Allow remote camera control from the Camera section. If you are using a supported PTZ camera, the "Allow remote camera control" checkbox will not be automatically selected.
Troubleshooting Tip: If your camera is in the supported list above and you do not see the Allow remote camera control option, then there might be a driver and/or camera issue.
The VidyoConnect window displays the FECC indicator on your participant avatar and on your video tile as seen by other call participants.
- If you try to deselect the “Allow remote camera control” checkbox while in a call, this message displays: "Changing this setting is disabled during an active call." Camera Owners can only deselect this option before the call, but they can't do so during a call.
Camera Controller for Desktop
When the far end camera is enabled, the Camera Controller can click the FECC button to open the FECC Control Panel from which they can pan, tilt, and zoom. Clicking the FECC button also pins the Camera Owner's tile.
Camera Controllers can then move the Camera Owner's camera left or right, up or down, or zoom in or out. Although it is a rare scenario, there can be multiple Camera Controllers simultaneously providing incremental camera movements. If so, the camera will move one increment at a time in the order the actions are received.
To use the FECC capability feature as a Desktop Camera Controller:
- When you are in a video call, click the FECC button on the lower right of the participant’s video tile, or to expand the selection click on the expand button next to the participant’s name in the VidyoConnect Participants list to Pin or Disconnect participant.
The FECC Control Panel displays.
Note: You can identify a remote Camera Owner by the FECC buton indicated in the lower right side of the owner's avatar in the roster list or in the lower right side of the owner's video tile. To control the camera, either click the FECC button on the video tile or extend the selection by clicking the extend button (to Pin or Disconnect), and then click the FECC button.
- Click any of the options within the FECC Control Panel to pan, tilt, and zoom the camera.
The Camera Controller must unpin the Camera Owner's video tile or else the tile will remain pinned, even if the FECC Control Panel is closed.
Refer to the following table for the list of actions you can take using the FECC Control Panel.
|Click this...||To do this...|
|Click the FECC button to open the FECC Control Panel.|
Click the FECC Control Panel to pan, tilt, and zoom one increment as defined by the camera.
Click on and drag the FECC Control Panel to move it around the VidyoConnect application if it is blocking a screen or image.
Use the grab tool to move the FECC Control Panel around the window.
Click the X option in the FECC Control Panel to close the Panel and turn controlling off. A user can close the FECC Control Panel; however, the FECC capability is still pinned to the Camera Owner's tile. Click the extend button to re-open the FECC Control Panel and/or click to Pin or Disconnect participant.
Click the left arrow to pan the Camera Owner's camera left by one increment at a time, or click and hold to move quickly and smoothly.
Click the right arrow to pan the Camera Owner's camera right by one increment at a time, or click and hold to move quickly and smoothly.
Click the up arrow to tilt the Camera Owner's camera up by one increment at a time, or click and hold to move quickly and smoothly.
|Click the down arrow to tilt the Camera Owner's camera down by one increment at a time, or click and hold to move quickly and smoothly.|
Click the minus option to zoom out the Camera Owner's camera by one increment at a time. Additionally, you can use the keyboard shortcuts to zoom in and out: (e.g., Windows: Ctrl + "+" or “-“ and Mac: Command + "+" or “-“).
|Click the plus to zoom in the Camera Owner's camera by one increment at a time. Additionally, you can use the keyboard shortcuts to zoom in and out: (e.g., Windows: Ctrl + "+" or “-“ and Mac: Command + "+" or “-“).|
The Camera Owner's tile is pinned once the Camera Controller starts using the FECC Control Panel. Select this option to unpin the Camera Controller's tile.
Even when the Camera Controller closes the FECC Control Panel, the Camera Owner's tile remains pinned until the Camera Controller unpins the tile.
A "camera off" notification will display if the camera is not available.
Camera Controller for Mobile
The FECC feature allows registered and guest participants in a call to remotely control a Pan-Tilt-Zoom (PTZ) camera connected to a far end VidyoConnect desktop or VidyoRoom endpoint. You can access all the controls you need to adjust a participant’s far end camera by double tapping anywhere on the participant’s tile that displays the FECC icon.
In order to control a camera, the camera controller needs to click the extend button in the Participant's list next to the Camera Owner with the FECC icon, and then select Pin. Then, double tap to control the camera. For better visibility, the Camera Controller can request the Camera Owner to "center" or "reset" the camera.
To use the FECC capability feature as a Mobile Camera Controller:
- When you are in a VidyoConnect call and FECC capability is detected, the tutorial pop-up window displays.
- Do one of the following:
- To dismiss this window permanently, slide the "Don't show this message anymore" toggle at the bottom right; otherwise, this screen will display in any call when FECC is detected.
- To dismiss this screen for the duration of the call, tap the OK button, or for Android users, tap the native Back button .
- Please Note: While the tutorial screen is shown, your video and audio are active unless you joined the call with your camera and/or microphone muted.
The FECC icon then displays in the upper-right corner of the participants who have a controllable camera (also known as the Camera Owners).
- Double tap on the Camera Owner's tile to enter control mode. Android users can also tap the native Back button at the bottom of the screen.
The FECC control buttons display on the screen.
- Click any of the control buttons around the participant's tile to move and zoom the camera accordingly.
If there are more than two participants in a call, the Camera Owner's tile will appear popped out. If there are only two participants in the call, the control buttons simply appear.
Refer to the following table for the list of actions you can take using the FECC controls for your mobile device.
|Click or double tap this...||To do this...|
|Double tap anywhere on any Camera Owner's tile (that is, any participant's tile that shows the FECC icon) to pop out that tile into control mode.|
|Click the up arrow to move the camera up one increment at a time.|
|Click the down arrow to move the camera down one increment at a time.|
Click the left arrow to move the camera left by one increment at a time.
Click the right arrow to move the camera right by one increment at a time.
|Click the plus sign to zoom in the camera by one increment at a time.|
|Click the minus sign to zoom out the camera by one increment at a time.|
|Click the X to close the FECC Control Panel.|