When the Hot Standby feature is implemented correctly, the Standby VidyoPortal (VidyoPortal 1) becomes Active and the Active VidyoPortal (VidyoPortal 2) becomes the Standby when Hot Standby is triggered.
Hot Standby is triggered for the following reasons:
- Manual Hot Standby – You can force a Hot Standby from the Hot Standby > Operation screen in the Super Admin Portal.
- Automatic Hot Standby – A Hot Standby automatically takes place when the Active VidyoPortal is unreachable for 20 seconds.
Some additional reasons Hot Standby is automatically triggered include:
- An IP network failure of 30 seconds or more.
- A restart or shutdown of the Active VidyoPortal.
- A VidyoManager failure.
- A Web services failure.
Some reasons Hot Standby is not automatically triggered include:
- If a previously unreachable Standby VidyoPortal suddenly becomes reachable and operational, Hot Standby is not triggered and the currently Active VidyoPortal remains in service.
- Restarting Web services from the Super Admin Portal.
A manual or automatic Hot Standby disconnects all conferences while switching between the Active and Standby VidyoPortals.
In most cases, the manual and automatic Hot Standby switching process between VidyoPortals takes up to four minutes.