An endpoint is any device that can be used to participate in a point-to-point call or a conference (such as VidyoDesktop, VidyoRoom, a VidyoMobile device, and VidyoGateway).
Endpoint Rules determine which VidyoRouter pool a given endpoint will use in a call. Remember that you can create Endpoint Rules only after you have set up your VidyoRouter pools and Priority Lists.
As the Super Admin, you determine the order in which Endpoints Rules are applied. The first rule that matches the endpoint’s characteristics (IP address, location tag, or Endpoint ID) is the rule that is applied.
You can have as many as 1,000 rules. There are only three kinds of rules:
- A rule can be based on a single local or (NATed) external IP or a range of IP addresses.
- A rule can be based on a Location Tag.
- See below for how to create and assign Location Tags.
- A rule can be based on an Endpoint ID (for special situations).
- Each endpoint has a unique character string, known as Endpoint ID, in which it automatically sends to the VidyoManager to identify itself.
As part of the process of setting up rules, we recommend that you set up a catch-all rule accepting all endpoints that do not match any of the endpoints previously created. The catch-all can be a rule that uses IP 0.0.0.0/0.
To create an endpoint rule:
- Log in to the Super Admin portal using your Super Admin account.
For more information, see Logging in to the Super Admin Portal.
The Components page displays by default.
- Click the Router Pools tab.
The Router Pools page displays.
- Click the Endpoint Rules.
- Select the Modified radio button.
- Click Add Rule.
A new page displays.
- Enter a name for your endpoint rule in the Rule Name field.
The Add Ruleset pop-up displays.
- Select from the following radio buttons:
- Select IP Rule and select the corresponding checkboexes - Specify Local IP Range (Ipv4 or Ipv6) and Specify External(NATed) IP Range (Ipv4 or Ipv6) to specify a range of local and external IP addresses.
- Select User Location Tag to select from location tags that you have already configured in the system.
Location tags must first be created in order to select them for your rule. For more information, see Creating User Location Tags.
- The Endpoint ID is selected to provide a unique identifier for an endpoint.
Caution: This Endpoint ID field should only be set under specific instruction from Vidyo Customer Support.Click.
- Click Save.
- To add another rule, click Add Ruleset.
- To edit a rule, select the corresponding checkbox, and then click Edit Ruleset.
- To delete a rule, select the corresponding checkbox, and then click Delete Ruleset.
- You can apply priority lists that were previously created to all rules by selecting the Priority List drop-down.